Some I've been building
Here's one I've been building 1991 dt125r I bought it in a state running but not possible to turn off some of you might remember I put a post on about it a couple month back here's how I got it
I got it home and had a better look over it and found where the battery panel goes had a bend in it that wasn't meant to be there so pulled that straight also noticed it had a dtre electric start engine no idea how I didn't see this when buying it
Anyways I started stripping it down to find the swingarm had become one with the spindle, tried all sorts to remove it with no luck so ended up cutting it off
Decide to have a look at the top end & apparently someone got happy with the Insta gasket -_-
Began stripping it down to get the frame powder coated
The frame wasn't bad the odd stripped threads but nothing major, while stripping it I noticed it had a few bits missing and with some people wanting the world for bits I call sh*tbits I bought a q plate to break for the parts I needed
It's wasn't that bad of bike just a shame it was a q plate
^^ (Project , q plate and the daily)
Anyways I was playing with some stuff I had laying about and I found some ktm forks that seem to fit the 1991 frame near enough
The yoke fits the bottom part of the frame perfect with the ktm bearing just the stem is slightly and I mean slightly probably not even half a mm to wide for the top cup on the dt frame although I know some dts have loose bearings some have tapered I think there called, the frame I tried putting them to uses single loose bearings on the top cup where as the newer frames I have use tapered so I'm GUESSING they will straight fit the newer frame
Also when I was sorting some bits out I found a ktm alloy swingarm that fits with the ktm linkage and bones, the only other part I need to make this all work is the ktm shock witch I can't seem to find...
What on earth happened to the OEM swingarm?
I've never seen one cracked into two!!!
@Calum I had to cut it off the swing arm bolt wouldn't move, I tried soaking it in oil , beating it with all types of hammers, heat did nothing even tried having it on its side with pressure pushing down on the spindle for a few days with regular sprays of oil didn't even budge
I had another go at the ktm forks before sending it for powder coating a dremel would allow them to fit spot on the steering stops seem inline too will probably look into this more in the future. Frame got fully stripped and ready for blasting and powder
Came back looking fresh
Started rebuilding I am undecided weather to keep this one somewhat original or aftermarket everything that I can
@shellatit Mental! Usually they destroy the spindle to remove it.
If you want the bike to retain any value, then as close to stock as possible. If you don't mind it being worthless...
@Calum I tried going for the spindle first but was too close to the frame for my liking & I have a few the value don't really bother me too much lol
Ahh ryt. Yeah well that's certainly one way to remove it They've certainly gone up in value now though.
Middle of rebuilding it and it rains so inside we go
While rebuilding it my partner got annoyed it was inside and wouldn't talk to me so had quite a peaceful time rebuilding lol
The ktm swing arms look the part just need the shock to match, I could modify the dt linkage to work but that's messing about when I know it just needs the shock to work with the ktm swinger linkage an bones
Managed to get a disc guard off fleebay not the colour I wanted but it does the trick
While building this one I started on my daily and ended up needing a few bits for that one as well as the 1991 project so I went and got a 1992 dtr with a snapped stator plate and blown cdi
I ended up swapping the brake calipers, pv servo, carb, exhaust & stand probably more bits I've forgotten about, I put a stator and cdi on it showed it running and sold it
I left the project for abit and decided to do a few bits with the daily here's some pics of it when I first got it
Straight away I put a yz style rear as well as new fairings on, a new graphics set and spoke wraps
I had to get the front mudguard graphic redone to the ufo mudguard
^^(after this picture somehow managed to snap the rear brake caliper carrier)
Although I liked it I wasn't happy with it so set about stripping it down for powder coating
I got the frame back looking mint it was done a candy blue metallic
Straight away started rebuilding
Decided to black the stator cover defiantly suits it in my opinion, my camera lense broke during building it so alot of the pics look poop
I put pro taper fat bars and risers on just before it was powder coated the bars are close to matching the frame