Engine casing discrepancies

• Is it normal for two casings to be different? Specifically the inlet porting? The right side case doesn’t match the left by about 8mm! It’s an old 3bn that I don’t know the history of (eBay). I’m guessing that they two different year casings.
    Is it best to match them or is it normal?..
    Cheers

• Yeah, they aren't well matched out the factory are they 🤣

There is a lip on the cases at the inlet. But they are fine everywhere else.

I presume this was done for a reason.

• @SpookDog it's fine from what I've heard but some file it down

• Just to embellish a bit. These are 3BN 01 cases. I have some 3BN 03 cases that are totally different. The inlet port that ‘ups into the barrel’ doesn’t have the step, but does have a ‘flaired up step’ that I guess directs gas flow up into the barrel port. I’m just wondering how many different variations of 3BN engines there are?
    I’m guessing that the 01 & 03 numbers are the year?
    Cheers guys

• Sorry! The ‘flaired up step’ is just above the crank. Not a step in the casing. It’s more like a spoiler or a ramp...

• A picture says a thousand words...

alt text

• I agree! The bits I’m on about are internal though 😜

How do you post upload pics from a phone. Do you still need to host the pic?

• @SpookDog yeah you host the pic then copy the picture address then. Press the picture icon just above when you are typing a post then paste the address into the highlighted section