Skip to content
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (Slate)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

DT125R FORUM

  1. Home
  2. General Discussion
  3. Welcome New Owners!
  4. New purchase 1990 dt125r

New purchase 1990 dt125r

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Welcome New Owners!
43 Posts 10 Posters 12.1k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • U
    U
    ukchad
    wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Had a lot of owners, but I would guess garaged, yeah.
    Was def kept in a garage from the bloke I brought it from for the last 5 years.

    Still has some niggles that I will tackle one by one,
    Got hot again today, so going to check coolant levels (only changed 2 weeks ago)
    Back brake's pretty rubbish and spongy
    Poor electrics mean that the headlights pretty much useless in dusk/night time
    Badly resprayed tank means petrol lifting paint

    I don't know anything about Engines/electrics but I'm practical enough to learn - Haynes manuals arrived to help me through

    terry.tzT 1 Reply Last reply
    1
    • U ukchad

      Had a lot of owners, but I would guess garaged, yeah.
      Was def kept in a garage from the bloke I brought it from for the last 5 years.

      Still has some niggles that I will tackle one by one,
      Got hot again today, so going to check coolant levels (only changed 2 weeks ago)
      Back brake's pretty rubbish and spongy
      Poor electrics mean that the headlights pretty much useless in dusk/night time
      Badly resprayed tank means petrol lifting paint

      I don't know anything about Engines/electrics but I'm practical enough to learn - Haynes manuals arrived to help me through

      terry.tzT
      terry.tzT
      terry.tz
      wrote on last edited by
      #7

      @ukchad sound like a man with a plan :simple_smile:

      "Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone" Alan Watts

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • terry.tzT
        terry.tzT
        terry.tz
        wrote on last edited by
        #8

        get that build thread up

        "Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone" Alan Watts

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • U
          U
          ukchad
          wrote on last edited by
          #9

          Actually had a go at turning the power valve around today - 180 degrees so the top of it was flush with the manifold.

          Took it out and I thought I had knackered it.... until I hit 7000 rpm OMG

          terry.tzT 1 Reply Last reply
          1
          • J
            J
            Jens Eskildsen
            wrote on last edited by
            #10

            Bike getting hot could be headgasket.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • U ukchad

              Actually had a go at turning the power valve around today - 180 degrees so the top of it was flush with the manifold.

              Took it out and I thought I had knackered it.... until I hit 7000 rpm OMG

              terry.tzT
              terry.tzT
              terry.tz
              wrote on last edited by
              #11

              @ukchad mines wide open it's a bit annoying some times but ye its fun
              @Jens-Eskildsen ye people put them on the wrong way round right

              "Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone" Alan Watts

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • U
                U
                ukchad
                wrote on last edited by
                #12

                Yeah, the head gasket is on my radar.
                The oil looked ok when I changed it - so did the coolant, but I will check the consistency tomorrow.
                How big a job is it to do the head gasket for a garage? Ball park cost? I think that may be a stage too far for me to do yet.

                I actually put the power valve back to original position as the exhaust got very hot very quickly (smoking from end after I stopped after a 5 min blast)

                declanD terry.tzT 3 Replies Last reply
                0
                • U ukchad

                  Yeah, the head gasket is on my radar.
                  The oil looked ok when I changed it - so did the coolant, but I will check the consistency tomorrow.
                  How big a job is it to do the head gasket for a garage? Ball park cost? I think that may be a stage too far for me to do yet.

                  I actually put the power valve back to original position as the exhaust got very hot very quickly (smoking from end after I stopped after a 5 min blast)

                  declanD
                  declanD
                  declan
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #13

                  @ukchad might aswell throw a new piston in there while our at it

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • O
                    O
                    oldman
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #14

                    Head refurb really straightforward, just get a decent gasket set, take your time and follow the manual. Did mine while I had the engine out, takes no time really. Nice bike, gotta save these old ones😁

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    1
                    • U ukchad

                      Yeah, the head gasket is on my radar.
                      The oil looked ok when I changed it - so did the coolant, but I will check the consistency tomorrow.
                      How big a job is it to do the head gasket for a garage? Ball park cost? I think that may be a stage too far for me to do yet.

                      I actually put the power valve back to original position as the exhaust got very hot very quickly (smoking from end after I stopped after a 5 min blast)

                      terry.tzT
                      terry.tzT
                      terry.tz
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #15

                      @ukchad head is easy best done with a torque wrench thou if you're willing to buy one

                      "Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone" Alan Watts

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      1
                      • U
                        U
                        ukchad
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #16

                        Another tool to purchase, but I do love having them.

                        declanD 1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • U ukchad

                          Yeah, the head gasket is on my radar.
                          The oil looked ok when I changed it - so did the coolant, but I will check the consistency tomorrow.
                          How big a job is it to do the head gasket for a garage? Ball park cost? I think that may be a stage too far for me to do yet.

                          I actually put the power valve back to original position as the exhaust got very hot very quickly (smoking from end after I stopped after a 5 min blast)

                          terry.tzT
                          terry.tzT
                          terry.tz
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #17

                          @ukchad said in New purchase 1990 dt125r:

                          I actually put the power valve back to original position as the exhaust got very hot very quickly (smoking from end after I stopped after a 5 min blast)

                          haha I would say leave it open its boring closed I could fall asleep riding if it was not wide open 😁 but I will say I have seen threads where there is a bit of controversy so think it's best you know how your bike runs first so you will tell if it rich or lean through the rev range

                          "Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone" Alan Watts

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • U ukchad

                            Another tool to purchase, but I do love having them.

                            declanD
                            declanD
                            declan
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #18

                            @ukchad 0_1502570106995_IMG_1486.JPG

                            Another 1990 welcome! Ignore the sticker bomb and the rear wheel got a puncture in my wheel and chipped paint underneath the sticker bomb lol

                            terry.tzT 1 Reply Last reply
                            1
                            • declanD declan

                              @ukchad 0_1502570106995_IMG_1486.JPG

                              Another 1990 welcome! Ignore the sticker bomb and the rear wheel got a puncture in my wheel and chipped paint underneath the sticker bomb lol

                              terry.tzT
                              terry.tzT
                              terry.tz
                              wrote on last edited by
                              #19

                              @declan coming on that is Declan

                              "Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone" Alan Watts

                              declanD 1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • O
                                O
                                oldman
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #20

                                Here's one I prepared earlier !
                                0_1502570553952_20170715_131805.jpg

                                U 1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • U
                                  U
                                  ukchad
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #21

                                  Is it normal for the exhaust to heat up so much then, when the power valve is fully open?

                                  Also died a bit when I kicked up into 6th, ran out of power (maybe wasn't high enough revs)

                                  declanD 1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • O oldman

                                    Here's one I prepared earlier !
                                    0_1502570553952_20170715_131805.jpg

                                    U
                                    U
                                    ukchad
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #22

                                    @oldman soooo clean

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • U ukchad

                                      Is it normal for the exhaust to heat up so much then, when the power valve is fully open?

                                      Also died a bit when I kicked up into 6th, ran out of power (maybe wasn't high enough revs)

                                      declanD
                                      declanD
                                      declan
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #23

                                      @ukchad coming from 4 stroke this was crazy for me I have full functioning pv) my muffler gets too hot to touch

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • terry.tzT terry.tz

                                        @declan coming on that is Declan

                                        declanD
                                        declanD
                                        declan
                                        wrote on last edited by
                                        #24

                                        @terry-tz hey thank you buddy nice hearing that much appreciated but a lot to go yet 😊

                                        terry.tzT 1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • declanD declan

                                          @terry-tz hey thank you buddy nice hearing that much appreciated but a lot to go yet 😊

                                          terry.tzT
                                          terry.tzT
                                          terry.tz
                                          wrote on last edited by
                                          #25

                                          @declan good to know there's more to come

                                          "Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone" Alan Watts

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          0

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups