Skip to content
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (Slate)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

DT125R FORUM

M

mikey118

@mikey118
Unfollow Follow
About
Posts
11
Topics
1
Shares
0
Groups
0
Followers
0
Following
0

Posts

Recent Best Controversial

  • What piston?
    M mikey118
    Engine

    @SpookDog
    I've only used Mitaka in a few 250 engines & they have been fine, a good compromise between cost & quality. However I use Vertex whenever possible and they are the best I've found, whether for MX or circuit use.


  • What piston?
    M mikey118
    Engine

    @SpookDog Taiwanese manufacturing often as good as found in Japan - in my experience. There is little evidence to support hard anodising of piston crowns when the piston is manufactured well in the 1st place. PVD coatings can be great, but unless designed in, and included in your bore finish & clearance allowances, a waste of time/money. It's very, very often just a sales gimmick as properly useful PVD coating is not cheap...


  • What piston?
    M mikey118
    Engine

    @Calum In fairness I've probably been too harsh. I've no experience of them in a 2 stroke, but I wouldn't use a forged piston as I said - the principle benefits of a forged piston are irrelevant in a 2T, and there are some downsides too, involving the metallurgy of the alloy amongst other things.
    I've used Wossner car pistons many times at a former employer, (and bike 4T pistons once) and never been impressed with either consistency of size or finish, and quality of material. So I assume there is rollover in the way they produce bike & car product, making me sceptical. I ought to point out that I have been in motor race engineering for 35+ years and our standards are relatively high - maybe the Wossner product is fine, but when there's a better alternative...I take it.
    As for their rods - there is a very good possibility they are much more than adequate, probably even great. I don't know, but these days you've got to be using some hick chinese producer to get a bad bike rod...and Wossner have a reputation so I'd bet they are ok for the forces generated by a DT.


  • What piston?
    M mikey118
    Engine

    @SpookDog FWIW I wouldn't put forged pistons in a 2 stroke unless there was no other choice. I wouldn't touch Wossner with a barge pole, either. In other bikes (not yet DT) I've had no problems with Mitaka, but if you want the best then Vertex are superb.


  • New member
    M mikey118
    Welcome New Owners!

    @Darty Not much to tell as yet - ran the mic' over it and put it on the surface table to check true / balance...so far so good. However whether it's chocolate, or had poor heat treatment, etc...time will tell. I'll post as I learn about it.


  • New member
    M mikey118
    Welcome New Owners!

    @oldman Thanks 👍


  • New member
    M mikey118
    Welcome New Owners!

    @NINJA some work in progress...
    DT#3-min.jpg DT bits1-min.jpg DT#3eng-min.jpg DT Bits2 (2).jpg


  • DTR Ignition Maps & Timing
    M mikey118
    Tuning

    @Calum Ah ok. Thanks


  • DTR Ignition Maps & Timing
    M mikey118
    Tuning

    What do you guys do for an ignition sensor/pick up & have you retained the o.e. magneto/flywheel or done something bespoke?


  • New member
    M mikey118
    Welcome New Owners!

    @Calum
    Cheers!


  • New member
    M mikey118
    Welcome New Owners!

    Hi all. As a family we've got 2x125R & 1x125LC. Lockdown prompted a much needed rebuild of all 3 after them not being used for years. I'm an engineer but bound to ask questions here and there, look forward to chatting...

  • Login

  • Don't have an account? Register

  • Login or register to search.
  • First post
    Last post
0
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups