'99 DT125R "OEM+"
Thought I'd make a project thread instead of just posting updates on my introduction post!
So the bike when I got it; completely standard and barely used, 1st owner shipped it over to Germany to ride it over there, he was in the army, but don't have many more details about what he was doing in the army or why he took it out there. In 2009 the bike had only done 658 miles, it's only the last few years where it's done a few more, from when the 1st owner sold it to his brother, and it now sits at 2.5k, so it's pretty mint and a good base to start at. Bought it off a good friend of my dad who owns a motorcycle service shop, which also buy and sell a few bikes and can fix anything you give them and also do mot's. He originally bought the DT for himself but kept it at the shop, he'd owned it for a few years but never used it as he'd intended, and it was only when I asked about it that he decided he'd sell it to me. It caught my eye a few months before and I ogled it quite abit, never thought I'd actually end up owning it! Kev, his name, had to say that he'd never had sold it to me if I'd have asked 3 years ago though, when I'd come in with my suped up 50cc, jacked up, postage stamp number plated scooter that I ragged the nuts off, haha! When he delivered the DT he insisted I kept it standard, so I guess he'll be pretty pissed when I take it for its next mot when it'll be (hopefully) finished
I don't want to stray very far from the original looks of the bike with mods, more just enhance what's already there as I love how it looks. So the first port of call was to replace those huge ugly indicators with something smaller but still standard looking
Next I got a slightly smaller plate and a dep can off eBay, with a rotten expansion pipe for the grand price of £40. Polished it up, re packed it and put it on;
I'll be getting a new expansion chamber when I get paid so stay tuned for that
Today I got my 3MB head which will be going on soon
That's all for now, I'll polish the head up today, and take it out if the weather's good.
One thing I'd really like to do is upgrade the front brake, as it's quite shit, anyone know a good upgrade for it?
Head cleaned up well, I'll be using the thermostat and other bits off my current head as I know they work
A hoon around the back lanes was also had afterwards:D
@Burridge Nice job there man! I have EBC red stuff pads and Wemoto braided lines on my DTR, they do improve the brakes for-sure. I'm going to be adding some Kyoto wavy disks next week, hopefully they will further improve the braking and reduce the stopping distances too!!! ;O)
@Burridge I got mine off ebay;
The DT uses the same pads front & rear. ;O)
Set about fitting the 3MB head today.
My torque wrench is too big so went to halfords for one, now if anyone here lies in Derby they'll have heard about the round about in Kingsway that has recently been made larger and now has a load of traffic lights on it. Well long story short, it's fucked everything up and they're shit, the retail park next to said roundabout was completely grid locked. It took about an hour to et out of the retail park once I'd been to halfords. Fabulous.
Anyway, £80 later-
Then the ball ache commenced:
Nice clean 3MB head on and all put back together, with genuine yam head gasket.
Started about 4th kick, took for a ride and can tell it's got more compression, it vibrates more too and seems abit nippier, will be better when I get my new zaust.
Unfortunately the sender wotsit in the head for the temp gauge looks completely different to the one in my 3BN head, hoped it would work but it doesn't.. Stayed at cold the whole time I was out. So I'll need a new one of them:(
Hopefully I don't get the ban hammer for posting pornographic material but I'll take the risk.
Postie brought this today
Unfortunately it turns out not to be the best of fits.
Got it on tonight and will need to shorten the end by an inch or more to get my dep can on, it's an uncomfortable amount too close to the frame and touches the top of the bracket where the standard pipe bolts on, and I'll have to find a spacer for the bracket on the pipe that mounts to the frame, as there's a hefty gap between the pipe and where it's supposed to mount to, and I'm not about to rip the bolts off the head torquing it down!
It looks fairly badass though, I'll hopefully have resolved the fitting issues by tomorrow.
This was the trouble I found with getting one of his pipes. I asked for a twin pipe to fit the DTX, and what he sent me was made to fit the DTR, and although the frames should be the same, I had to adjust two of the mounting holes to get mine to fit. Even then, it didn't look completely straight. He does great work don't get me wrong, but I paid so much for it and to have it not perfectly fit was very frustrating.
Well guys I've managed to get it on, all be it big faff. Haven't bothered with the bracket as Calum's said, cut an inch and a half off the end and got the dep on, the 2 pipes were so far out they were almost side by side. Put a spacer on the front bracket of the dep to pull it out more to like up abit better with the main pipe, used the original grommet with a piece of handle bar grip packing out the main pipe cus it was far too big.
The pissing front midguard hits the pipe when turning the bars left! For now I'm gonna pack out the 2 bolts holding it on
closest to the engine to angle it away from the pipe, and maybe get a different midguard later on that I can butcher abit to fit round the pipe.
@mightyman I know how you feel, this thing wasn't cheap and as good as the workmanship is I've been pretty pissed at how badly it fits, with the equipment the guy has to make these things and how much he's making off them I'd have thought he'd have some decent jigs to make sure they fit better than they do. It said in the title that this was for a dt125 r