Skip to content
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (Slate)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

DT125R FORUM

  1. Home
  2. Tuning
  3. Carburetor
  4. Cutting top of airbox

Cutting top of airbox

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Carburetor
16 Posts 9 Posters 4.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • rogeringR
    rogeringR
    rogering
    wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Cutting top of airbox as my bikes for pure off road / greenlaning so what's the pros and cons from experienced members

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • CalumC
      CalumC
      Calum
      wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I have been informed by Rob @ Yamaha Skellerns Cheltenham, if you're going to do it, cut the whole top off.

      So long as you jet it accordingly, it'll be a derestriction.

      Always Originate, Never Pirate!

      1 Reply Last reply
      1
      • rogeringR
        rogeringR
        rogering
        wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Thanks calum I have a 240 jet and my exhaust has restrictor removed also as I rewired my own loom blue is earthed and I had diamond pv and positiond into de restricted position, so with cutting top off what up jet would you say I should go to mate ?

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • Louis-DT-WRL
          Louis-DT-WRL
          Louis-DT-WR
          wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I've done it, even with the 125 engine and standard carb. Ran very well and sounds great 🙂

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • A
            A
            andrewj1680
            wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Mine didn't like too much air I've had to seal Some of the hole back up and I'm running a full dep exhaust carbon reeds and a 250 main jet

            1 Reply Last reply
            1
            • CalumC
              CalumC
              Calum
              wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Well I personally think it's butchering the bike. Personally I just use a pod filter.

              Always Originate, Never Pirate!

              1 Reply Last reply
              1
              • rogeringR
                rogeringR
                rogering
                wrote on last edited by
                #7

                True mate I have a pod filter but as mine just for off road I need a level of water protection but only got airbox but you have thankfully sorted out the boot I needed for cars to box an I'm greatfull for mate

                1 Reply Last reply
                1
                • J
                  J
                  Jens Eskildsen
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  My stock bike runs better with the snorkel removed, and the hole in the airbox enlarged.

                  I have added a little splash guard to keep the water away from the opening.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  1
                  • Glynn123G
                    Glynn123G
                    Glynn123
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    I know this is old, but to help future readers, I have very good results with snorkle removed and 250 main jet, this is paired with a full system.

                    declanD 1 Reply Last reply
                    1
                    • Glynn123G Glynn123

                      I know this is old, but to help future readers, I have very good results with snorkle removed and 250 main jet, this is paired with a full system.

                      declanD
                      declanD
                      declan
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @glynn123 does the snorkel just pull out lads

                      R 1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • NottsbikerN
                        NottsbikerN
                        Nottsbiker
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Yes, might be glued in like the airbox halves are glued / screwed together

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • Glynn123G
                          Glynn123G
                          Glynn123
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Should just pull out, will be stiff due to the big lip mind, mine came out fine.

                          declanD 1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • Glynn123G Glynn123

                            Should just pull out, will be stiff due to the big lip mind, mine came out fine.

                            declanD
                            declanD
                            declan
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @glynn123 just asking since when I tried I couldn’t get it out and didn’t want to rip it

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • CalumC
                              CalumC
                              Calum
                              wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Put a flat blade between the air box and snorkel and leverage it out. Don't just tug it out.

                              Personally I prefer my bikes with Snorkels in as they ride better.

                              Always Originate, Never Pirate!

                              declanD 1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • CalumC Calum

                                Put a flat blade between the air box and snorkel and leverage it out. Don't just tug it out.

                                Personally I prefer my bikes with Snorkels in as they ride better.

                                declanD
                                declanD
                                declan
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @calum thanks man and yeah worth a try though while I have it apart

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • declanD declan

                                  @glynn123 does the snorkel just pull out lads

                                  R
                                  R
                                  ryancole2001
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @declan yes it pulls right out

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  0

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                  Register Login
                                  Reply
                                  • Reply as topic
                                  Log in to reply
                                  • Oldest to Newest
                                  • Newest to Oldest
                                  • Most Votes


                                  • Login

                                  • Don't have an account? Register

                                  • Login or register to search.
                                  • First post
                                    Last post
                                  0
                                  • Recent
                                  • Tags
                                  • Popular
                                  • Users
                                  • Groups